What It Feels Like For A Girl
I found the following piece taped to the back of the girls bathroom door at the local middle school. It was written by a female student in grade 8. I was so moved by it and it's universal lessons for all girls/women that I contacted the author and asked her if I could reprint it here. . I'm so impressed that a fourteen year old girl thought of spreading this universal message of love. What an outstanding young woman!
Here is her eloquent explanation of her posting:
"The whole reason why I put these up in the first place is because I noticed some girls in our class felt like 'the other girl.' Nobody asked them to the dance or they didn't have hundreds of people commenting or 'liking' their social media pictures. I've always felt that things like this don't matter to me. I wanted to show not only the grade 8 girls, but all the young ladies at our school that they are special and they are loved and it shows through different ways."
Hey there! Since you got some time, I wanted to give you a list of 10 things you should always remember starting today!
1. Stop comparing yourself to other people - we all have something we want and don't have. Be thankful for what you have.
2. Start doing things that make you feel good about yourself.
3. Don't let other people walk all over you - speak up if something is making you uncomfortable.
4. Drink lots of water daily! It makes your skin glow like heck.
5. Why do other people's opinions matter? Are they paying your bills? Didn't think so.
6. Just because you didn't get something doesn't mean you didn't deserve it - but because you deserved more.
7. Everyone is worthy of love.
8. Education is the key to success! If you have a good education, you can get any job you desire!
9. Don't loose focus of what really matters and what you really want.
10. Somebody always cares about you! I do :)
Long story short, don't forget to be kind to yourself and the people around you. We're all we have in this world, so why not stick up for one another?
Lots of Love,
P.S. BEING A GIRL IS LIT! (awesome)
I hope you'll share this message with your daughters, sisters, aunts, grandmas's and all the beautiful women in your life, because being a girl is totally lit! :)