Athleisure...sounds a little dreamy doesn't it? Athletic wear and leisure wear coming together in the perfect marriage. The Athleisure trend has been uber popular since models like Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner started roaming the street of New York in their yoga pants paired with moto jackets. Athleisure isn't exactly new. Remember your velour Juicy Couture track suit...yep, athleisure. But the trend certainly has evolved since you had Juicy on your ass, and I am in no way advocating for you to pull it out of your closet. Instead let's take a fresh look at the trend that goes from studio to street.
There are five basics to nailing the athleisure trend:
1. To make the style work for you invest in a great pair of performance fabric pants that you don't actually wear to yoga class. Pair these with a crisp, clean, long tee shirt. Remember leggings are not pants, so if you're going for this look, cover your bum please. Then pop on an oversized sweater, moto jacket, bomber or denim jacket. The Joe Fresh pants I recommended in my last post would also work great!
2. Choose your footwear carefully. Go for neutral running shoes (like the Nike's shown above) or the ever trendy Adidas Stan Smiths. Keep your shoes clean. Dirty running shoes are meant for the garden not the athleisure trend. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is great for keep scuff marks off runners.
3. Accessorize appropriately. Or I should I say accessorize minimally. No need to haul out your chunky jewels. Stick with a great scarf and your favourite sunnies and handbag. By all means, pair your designer bag with your athleisure.
4. Don't wear your sports bra as a crop top unless you're Gigi Hadid. After fourty, the athletic part of athleisure should be below the waist. Performance leggings and runners paired with leisure wear on top!
5. Dress for the occasion. Athleisure is not for the office. The trend lends itself to weekends for working ladies. If you work in a creative environment then by all means...pair your Stan Smiths dress pants. I really love this look.
I posted this athleisure look to Instagram. I'm wearing Athleta High Rise Chatauranga to Town Tight. A white cami under a long sleeve tee topped with a super soft leather bomber.